Friday, 13 June 2008

A thought on Father's Day weekend

I'm just being proactive

so anyway, whilst surfing about the blogosphere tonight, I happened upon BlackFive's post about the "Strongest Dad in the World". As it turns out, it's a re-post from 2006, but that does not diminish it's power one bit.

Fair warning, though: If you're a Dad, you'll realize that stumbling over Polly Pockets or having to round up all the Planet Heroes stuff or scrubbing the mud of of the kid's shoes (at 11:45 PM on a Sunday night) or any of the multitude of "little things" that we Dads endure; it's all just small change. To excerpt Matt's excerpt:

I try to be a good father. Give my kids mulligans. Work nights to pay for their text messaging. Take them to swimsuit shoots.

But compared with Dick Hoyt, I suck.

Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars -- all in the same day.

Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. on a bike. Makes taking your son bowling look a little lame, right?

Like Matty O'BlackFive and SI's Rick Reilly, I suck as well. Do go read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home