Monday, 22 May 2006

Elementary, my dear Watson

I just had to have a piece of the action
So anyway, it's just been business as usual around here. This "capitalist pig" thingy takes some work.
I started the repairs to the grounds here at Casa de Miguel this evening and re-affirmed my decision to go to college in the first place. Lessons learned: Dirt is Heavy, and there is more dirt there than you originally had planned for.
Happy Birthday to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm a big fan of detective fiction, and Sir Arthur's work hooked me at an early age. Sherlock Holmes led me to Hammett, Chandler, Leonard, and Wambaugh, and many others. If I had a quarter for each time I set out to write a detective fiction novel, especially in the Hammett / Chandler idiom, I'd have about $6.75 by now. They all started out the same way:
It was a hard, cold rain in the city by the bay; the kind of rain that washes the scum from the streets and into the sewers where it belongs......
(stare at keyboard for 87 minutes, waiting for the next line)
You get the point. Fiction is hard.
Sleep is good. We'll have words again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home